Monday, August 18, 2008

I really need to work out what to call my posts when they're just full of random bits of this and that!

Yay! Michael Phelps won his 8 gold medals. Kudos and all that now can we please watch something other than swimming? I miss DSTV and being able to watch multiple channels of random Olympic sport at all hours of the day. What is quite amusing here though is the way they’re reporting the medal count - I only ever see the total medal count because then America’s winning. Meanwhile it’s the gold medals that count and then the Chinese are kicking the USA’s butt!

On Saturday night I went to see A Chorus Line. It’s a musical that tells the story of all these dancers trying out for a show on Broadway. I got a super cheap ticket (I’m a poor student remember) so I was sitting high up in the rafters. For some unknown reasons the entire front section if the upper balcony was empty so just before the show started we all started to move down. The poor usher got all twitchy so all we did was wait until they switched the lights off and then moved! I ended up with an awesome seat and could see everything on stage really well.

I have to tell you about an incredible moment of brilliance on my part! After I got my car back from being detailed last week I was trying to remember if I had had mats in it or not. I eventually decided that I must not have had mats because I was sure they would have put them back in the car. So this weekend when Nicky and I went to do some shopping at Costco I opened the boot to but our shopping in an lo and behold - there were my mats! They had been sitting in the boot the whole time. Now my car has a little bit of a 'wet' smell that I need to sort out because the mats weren't completely dry and they've been sitting in the closed boot in the sun all week.

Talking about grocery shopping - last week I was so excited! I went to a different Von's to the one I normally do and they had peppadews! They were in the little deli section along with all the olives etc. They've made a welcome addition to my salads.

And in other food news (the newsreader voice is back) I had my first smor on Friday night! What is a smor you may ask? Well it's the quintessential American camp food made by taking a marshmellow, toasting it over the fire and then squishing it between two graham crackers along with some chocolate! Quite delicious! Although I do think toasting Beacon marshmellow Easter eggs is still the best!

The apartment hunt continues. I saw one place this weekend which was a bit too close to party central for my liking and I'm seeing another place tonight. And surprise surprise - the rude Americans strike again! Despite being faithfully assured that they would let me know about the two apartments I was waiting to hear about this weekend.... guess what? They didn't.

No comments: