Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Chicken, Apartments and Dentists.

I think American farmers must feed their chickens steroids. Seriously, the size of the chicken breasts I grilled for dinner this evening were just plain ridiculous. They could be sliced up and feed a family of four quite easily with enough left over for seconds! Having been here for almost a year now I suppose I should have gotten used to the size of things but as far as I'm concerned it's just not normal!

Aside from that apartment hunting is going ok. It's quite a pain really but I guess it is an evil that must be endured because I'm sure Marge will kick me out sooner or later. Although I haven't managed to kill/permanently disable/damage anything while she's been away. Aside from a box of parmesan crackers which had an unfortunate meeting with the floor and are now both more numerous and smaller than before.

But back to apartments. I've seen 3 so far this week. One was really nice but with utilities was going to end up being too expensive (I'm slowly reconciling myself to the fact that I am a poor student). One was amazing and I would move in there tomorrow if I didn't have to sigh a year lease which is a bit of an issue seeing that I finish my degree in December and I have no clue where I'm going to be after that. I'd quite like to stay in San Diego but that all depends on getting a ... *gulp* ... job! The last place I saw was a bit run down and the carpet was a bit manky but it's the place I could very well end up in as it's definitely in my price range (remembering the poor student bit). So we'll see. I'm going to carry on looking for a while anyway.

Otherwise I still haven't managed to do my California drivers license. That's now tentatively on the cards for tomorrow. Everything's just been taking much longer than anticipated so I'm falling a bit behind schedule. Like today - I volunteered to take my friend Nicky to the dentist because she doesn't have a car. She was supposed to take an hour and a half but it ended up being 3 hours! By which stage the majority of the afternoon had flown by. I couldn't be too grumpy when she was eventually done though because after having a crown and some fillings she definitely had a worse afternoon than me.

No comments: