Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Rotary and the UN

I just found a bit more on the relationship between Rotary and the UN so decided to add it because I thought it was interesting. I had no clue there was any involvement between the two or that Rotary was involved with such big important entities... if you don't think it's interesting, please feel free to skip it - I promise I wont be offended :-)

"Rotary International's relationship with the United Nations dates back to 1945, when 49 Rotarians were members of the 29 delegations to the UN Charter Conference in San Francisco, California, USA. During the UN's first decade, Rotary actively participated in UN sessions by sending observers to major meetings and promoting the United Nations in Rotary publications.

In addition, Rotary has maintained relations with the UN's Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) — a principle organ of the United Nations that oversees many specialized UN agencies, commissions, and other bodies — since ECOSOC’s founding in 1945. Rotary currently holds the highest consultative status offered to a nongovernmental organization (NGO) by ECOSOC. This status is granted only to large, established international NGOs with a broad geographical reach whose area of work covers most of the issues on the agenda of ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies.

Rotary also has a special historical relationship with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). In fact, it was a 1943 London Rotary conference on international cultural and educational exchanges that provided a key impetus to establish UNESCO.

Rotary currently maintains and furthers its relationship with a number of UN bodies, programs, commissions, and agencies through Rotary's Representative Network."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi I'd love to congratulate you for such a terrific made site!
I was sure this is a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/cowboy-party-supplies.html]cowboy Party Supplies[/url].