Friday, September 14, 2007

Birthday Party #1

This year my birthday was a bit odd. Not in a bad way, it was just different! For starters I'm in a completely different country and far away from all the people I would normally celebrate with. Then erev Rosh Hoshannah coincided with my birthday this year (for those of you who don't do 'Jew-speak', Jewish New Year started at sundown on 12 September -the evening of my birthday). So we had to improvise!

On Tuesday evening, the night before my birthday, I went to Marge's house for dinner along with a number of Rotarians I've become friends with. It was really nice! We had Chinese takeaway which is one of my absolute favourites and I'd taken along a couple bottles of South African wine (more about how I got those in another post). The Nederberg Chardonnay went down really well - i should have taken more bottles. Almost everyone commented on how nice it was. Even I enjoyed it and I'm not generally a Chardonnay fan! Unfortunately the Fleur de Cap Merlot was corked but no one was really drinking red. I actually only discovered it was corked after I got home with 3/4 of the bottle and Sarah had a glass. I was talking to Mom and Dad on Skype and she came through and asked in a rather small voice if the wine was ok. She was quite concerned about offending me but the wine was definitely very corked and promptly got poured down the garbage disposal. Garbage disposals are fantastic things by the way- I was totally entranced by ours initially!

Back to my birthday dinner at Marge's - it was a very entertaining evening. The Chinese food was great (and it even came in little cardboard cartons just like the movies)! My fortune cookie was terribly cryptic and told me that "All your hard work will soon pay off". It must be such fun to sit and make all those fortunes up - they're all so random! Jean Kerr gave me the most divine birthday cake for my birthday.

As you can see I got candles and Happy Birthday and all! (Americans don't go 'Hip Hip Hooray' by the way). The cake was quite delicious- a triple layer chocolate affair with vanilla icing and white chocolate shavings on top. Wow it was rich! I took the rest home with me where the majority promptly got donated to the boys downstairs otherwise I would definitely have eaten it all and felt thoroughly sick. Although looking at the picture I wouldn't mind a piece now :-)

I even got birthday presents! Or present rather but it contained lots of stuff - a shower caddy (as you can see) full of just about every bath product one could conceive of! I still haven't worked out what half of them are for yet! It was so funny - everyone gave me their own card and Marge had obviously put the word out that I love cats because every card had a kitty on it. Even funnier was that 3 were the same cards - it seems everyone shops at Costco here.

No comments: