Well I'm here (eventually) after more than 24 hours of travelling - it was hectic! No major dramas thankfully - apart from being 11 kgs over weight! I should probably point out that I was allowed to bring 2 cases of 23kgs each and was still overweight. Oh well ;-) I also had a minor panic attack when I thought US customs were going to search my bags in Washington and then I was going to miss my connecting flight to San Diego etc etc. (Ok I'm exaggerating but I was worried!) Thankfully they didn't which was a huge relief because I don't know if I would have fitted everything back into my case they were packed so full (hence the overweight bit) and I made my flight, whew! Marge, my host counsellor from Rotary seems really nice. I'm staying with her until I find a flat or something. Her house is on a mesa/plateau overlooking a smallish canyon. It's very pretty!
From the little I've seen of San Diego (from the car window) it seems really nice. It's hot but not scorching. How hot is 76 degrees Farenheit in degrees celsius? That was the temperature today. Initially the city reminded me of Cape Town a bit but that didn't last. It's very 'southern Californian' looking if that helps. Picture lots of palm trees, light sand with rather scrubby vegetation so you can still see the sand through it and blue, blue sky. The city is apparently a series of canyons and mesas so it's quite hilly. I'm also very conscious at the mo of the way I speak and how different it sounds.
Otherwise I have to start doing stuff tomorrow, like opening a bank account, getting a cell etc. It's just before 9 here (we're 9 hours behind SA time) and I'm about to go to sleep. I had a bit of a nap this afternoon so hopefully tomorrow morning I'll be fine and not jetlagged.
Oh, and please excuse the typing - I know it's going a bit funky. I'm using one of those split keyboards and I'm not always sure where the keys are!
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
24.4 Celsius
That's what I was going to say! I still have the fahrenheit degrees on my computer for when I can't figure out the celsius ones!
Post a Comment